Ph.D., Chemical & Biological Engineering
- MSc, Microbiology with First Class Honors in Microbiology Panjab University, Chandigarh, India (2009-2011)
- BSc, Microbiology with First Class Honors in Microbiology Panjab University, Chandigarh, India (2006-2009)
Previous Research Experience
Govil, T.; Paste, M.; Samanta, D.; David, A.; Goh, K.M.; Li, X.; Salem, D.R.; Sani, R.K. Metagenomics and Culture Dependent Insights into the Distribution of Firmicutes across Two Different Sample Types Located in the Black Hills Region of South Dakota, USA. Microorganisms 2021, 9, 113
Govil, T., Wang, J., Samanta, D., David, A., Tripathi, A., Rauniyar, Salem, D.R., Sani, R. K. (2020). Lignocellulosic feedstock: A review of a sustainable platform for cleaner production of nature’s plastics. Journal of Cleaner Production, 270, 122521
Govil, T., Saxena, P., Samanta, D., Singh, S. S., Kumar, S., Salem, D. R., & Sani, R. K. (2020). Adaptive Enrichment of a Thermophilic Bacterial Isolate for Enhanced Enzymatic Activity. Microorganisms, 8(6), 871
Govil, T., Sharma, W., Chauhan, N. K., Kumar, S., Salem, D. R., & Sani, R. K. (2019). “MINES” method for genomic DNA extraction from deep biosphere biofilms. Journal of Microbiological Methods, 167, 105730
Shrestha, N., Tripathi, A.K., Govil, T. et al. Electricity from lignocellulosic substrates by thermophilic Geobacillus species. Sci Rep 10, 17047 (2020)
- Recipient of “Joseph Nelson Fellowship” for the academic year 2021-22
- 2021 “Outstanding Graduate student” in the focus area of Biological Engineering, South Dakota Mines, Rapid City, SD
- 2019 “Outstanding Graduate student” in the focus area of Biological Engineering, South Dakota Mines, Rapid City, SD
- “Outstanding Student poster award” in the category of Environmental Microbiology, at the Society for Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology 2018 meeting in Chicago, USA
- All India 7th rank at senior Level In national Level Biotechnology Talent Search Examination-2010.
- 3rd position in Biotechnology and Environment Quiz competition 2009 in University Zonal Youth Festival, GSSG, Chandigarh, India
- GATE 2011, India with score of 514 and 98.4 percentile under Life sciences stream.
- UGC-NET LS, India, June-2011 with All India Rank 43.
- UGC NET JRF, India 2012 with All India Rank 51.
- Bibra M, Govil T, and Sani RK. 2019. Biochemistry Laboratory (Chem 464L/564L). Science Lab Studios (http://www.sciencelabstudios.com/sani01)
- Invited for a Radio Talk Show “SDSMT Talks the Future of Agriculture” in the Moment Section Programme, by SDBP radios on October 8, 2019. https://listen.sdpb.org/term/tanvi-govil
- A story on “Another great female scientist at SD Mines to celebrate as we near the International Day of Women and Girls in Science on Feb. 11” published in in SD Mines News on February 9, 2019.
- A story on “Researchers at #SDMines are turning corn stalks, leaves, and cobs into biodegradable plastic using microbes found in the Sanford Underground Research Facility” published in in SD Mines News on Sept. 12, 2018. https://www.instagram.com/p/BnpKm_LlhHJ/?taken-by=sdsmt
TRAININGS / INTERNSHIPS
- In the summer of 2019, went to Lanzhou University, China to Professor’s Xiangkai Li, School of Life Science, and got trained in the field of “Genome Editing using Homologous recombination”, as well as “Cell Surface Display of proteins/enzymes”.
INVENTION / DISCLOSURESs FILED
“Biopolymers from unprocessed lignocellulosic biomass using a new thermophilic Geobacillus sp.” with Office of Economic Development, South Dakota School of Mines and Technology, in January 2019
- Worked as Teaching Assistant for the graduate level Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Lab (CABS-464/564-L) (2018, 2019, and 2020) and articulated the laboratory manual for the same lab at SDSMT, USA
- Research mentor for six visiting research interns from India (2018, 2019, and 2020). These Masters interns came to SD mines for their 6 months internships. My responsibility was to plan, design, supervise, and train them for their research work
- Research Mentor for a high school and a middle school teacher in SD-RET program (2017, 2018, and 2019). I taught and gave them hands on experience with sampling and different sterilization techniques, cell culturing techniques for aerobic and anaerobic microorganisms, enzyme assays and biofuel production using organic wastes
- Research Mentor for two undergraduates under BuG ReMeDEE – SURE (Summer Undergrad Research Experience program (2019)
- Cultural Secretary (2017-till date) of Student organization “India club” at South Dakota Mines Rapid City, SD, USA
- Academic Secretary of “Association of Microbiology” 2010-2011, Panjab University, India.
- Joint Secretory in the Microbiological Association, Department of microbiology, Panjab University, Chandigarh, year 2009-2010
Poster & Presentations
- Oral Presentation: #Govil T, Salem DR, Sani RK. (13-15 October 2020). Single Step Consolidated Bioprocessing of Corn Stover to Polyhydroxyalkanoates: A New Strategy. Global Symposium on Waste Plastics. AIChE. Virtual Conference. (Published)
- Poster presentation: #Govil T, Salem DR, Sani RK. (November 2019). Single Step Consolidated Bioprocessing of Corn Stover to Polyhydroxyalkanoates: A New Strategy. Proceedings of the South Dakota Academy of Science 2020. USA. (Published)
- Poster presentation: *Govil, T., *Sharma, W., Salem, D. R., & Sani, R. K. (2019, January). Mining Metagenomes for Bioplastics and other useful bioproducts. In Proceedings of the South Dakota Academy of Science (Vol. 98). (Published)
- Poster presentation: #Govil T, Salem DR, Sani RK. (August 2018). The feasibility of thermophilic Geobacillus as a platform for efficient PHB production from corn stover. SIMB conference, 2018. USA. (Published)
Outreach & Activities
- Was a part of “SAS – Serious About Science – NSF- BuGReMeDEE” squad at Neutrino Day, 2019 at SURF, Lead, and demonstrated the use of 2nd generation lignocellulosic biomass as a substrate in order to obtain some useful products like biofuel, bioelectricity, biopolymers, and bioethanol.
- Represented “Department of Chemistry and Applied Biological Sciences” during Go to Mines Open House, October 19, 2019 where prospective students and their families were invited to attend a day of workshops and activities on the School of Mines campus.
Ph.D., Chemical and Biological Engineering, SDSMT, Rapid city, SD (May 2017-Present). Microbiologist with proficiency in Molecular Biology, Genome Editing, and Biochemistry
- Language: English – Full professional proficiency; Hindi – Native or bilingual proficiency
- Computer: Proficient in using MS Office, Origin, EndNote, Photoshop, Illustrator, GraphPad Prism, ChemDraw.
- Interests: Painting, drawing, graphic design, board games